Weekly Tech Tip:
- The Fix is In: Social Mobilization and School Reform (Wiki still under heavy construction)
- When test scores seem too good to believe
- In Fight for Space, Educator Takes On Charter Chain (NYTimes)
- 'Value-added' teacher evaluations: L.A. Unified tackles a tough formula (LATimes)
- Collective bargaining law published despite restraining order (Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel)
- Losing Our Way (NYTimes)
- Members stage “grade-in” at Deptford Mall (New Jersey Education Association)
- 5 myths about teachers that are distracting policymakers (Washington Post)
- Research supports style of learning (Adelaide Now)
- Something to Fight For by Deborah Meier (Education Week)
- Resourcing the PYP, MYP, & DP
- Virtual School Symposium 2011 Request for Proposals Now Open
- Arts and physical education in schools: Necessities or extras? (Sun Sentinel)
- I’ve created a LinkedIn profile…. Now what? by Mary Huston on Lexical Linguist: I'm just geeky that way!
- Are We Ready to Stop Labeling Ourselves Digital Immigrants? by Pam Moran on A Space for Learning
- Why build a PLN by Kevin Honeycutt on What a PLN is...
- Am I Making Any Sense? by Gary Stager on Stager-to-Go
- ACE and Pearson Collaborate to Transform GED Test, Aligned with Common Core State Standards, Based on GED 21st Century Initiative by Susan Ohanian on Susan Ohanian .Org
- Student revolts about Standardized Exam by Kathryn Coffey on Real Teaching Means Real Learning
- Ugh. Classic Politics Now Extends to Social Networking in Education. by Steve Hargadon on Steve Hargadon
- Compare and contrast: using computers to improve math education by Sylvia Martinez on Generation YES Blog
- The illusion of standardization by Joe Bower on Cooperative Catalyst
- Education is life: a call for more fabulous failures by Kelly Tenkely on Dreams of Education
- Constructing Empathy by Ira Socol on SpeEdChange
"To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge." ~Thoreau
73% of 12- to 17-year olds have at least 1 social networking profile (Pew, 2010). The other 27% LIED
You are indeed fortunate if you're teaching in a school where computers are available for teaching and learning - use them! #ictschootip
. @CBrannon Tell the kids that there is a mean old guy grading the tests who is trying to trick them. Your scores should go up appreciably.
When things get bad, shut down mobile networks & social media. When they get really bad, shut down the internet. #ArabTyrantManual
"Minnesota’s kids deserve better." Read Education Commissioner Cassellius' testimony on House GOP education bill at http://bit.ly/en1Xvv
For those of you new to following me and/or Libya, there's often a grain of truth in rumors. But sometimes they're just bunk. Be skeptical.
Testing industry is lobbying now to retain all the testing provisions of NCLB. That's their cash cow. Obama is going along.
I loathe education's past & dread its future. This is unhealthy. I'm working through it.
Rhee: "I worry about people going into the job with longevity as one of the goals. I’m not a big believer in longevity."
. @radicalgeek You need to look at the trends & how K.A. is discussed along with "School of One" and "Carpe Diem." All bad ideas.
"We agree that all children need to succeed; but do we mean the same thing?" John Holt #edchat