After a short break its time for another round of weekly tech tips. This week's tech tip is on a topic that I find both incredibly important but also somewhat dry. So, to hold your attention I have inserted a few lol cats. I hope they are not too distracting. The cats may also serve as a catalyst for a future tech tip on memes. It has been a few weeks since my last one so this week's list of links and blog posts will be quite extensive.
Weekly Tech Tip:
- Alan November - Who Owns the Websites Your Kids Access?
- 13th Annual Governor's Education Summit ...
- Web Suffixes
- Website and Email Country Codes
- Link Popularity
- Big Thinkers Howard Gardner on Digital Youth
- Big Thinkers Mimi Ito on Learning with New Media Edutopia
- USC Annenberg Center Speaker Series: Henry Jenkins
- Chocolate Rain by Chad Vader - I can't believe I had not seen this one before. Fantastic example of an internet meme and remix culture.
- We Need A Revolution not Evolution - Sir Ken Robinson
- Public School Graduates and Dropouts From the Common Core of Data: School Year 2007–08
- SendGM - Free tools that lets you simultaneously send a group message via email, mobile text, and voice call.
- States Receive a Reading List: New Standards for Education
- Hot off the press: *in education* journal, Technology & Social Media Part II (Special Issue) http://bit.ly/6ue7Os
- Negroponte: One Laptop Per Child is now a $75 Android Tablet - http://bit.ly/bkdMit
- Home Page - StreetCities.com - Google Street View Resources - Embeddable Street View and Google Earth Control
- Google Releases "Cloud Course," an Open Sourced, On-line Learning App
- Beyond Current Horizons (BCH) is a 2 year program in the UK to look at the future of education and learning, especially as it involves technology.
- 19 Interesting Ways to use Wallwisher in the Classroom http://bit.ly/cvAYR9
- Fantastic recording of webinar about project-based learning and creative computing by Gary Stager now available online for free - http://bit.ly/aBAuae
- IS Parade - See yourself lead a parade of your Twitter followers
- FPS Creator - free software that lets you make your own first person shooter games
- Wherigo > Tools for creating GPS-enabled adventures
- Why Gap Year
- Blog Series – Common Misconceptions Technology Integration by Michael Zimmer on Technology Bits Bytes & Nibbles
- Podcasts in Education Made Simple by Richard
- 7 Tips to Live Tweet an Event Effectively
- Kids More Likely to Own a Cellphone Than a Book, Study Finds Written by Chris Cameron on Read Write Web
- When Relevance Becomes A Myth Posted by Aaron Eyler on Synthesizing Education
- Should we get rid of technology directors? by Doug Green on Dangerously Irrelevant
- Learning by Wandering: a new metaphor for the mobile age by
- Such a Punch… by David Warlick on 2¢ Worth
- “Race to the Top” Needs Another “T” By Will Richardson on Weblogg-ed
- Reputation Managment: Understanding the Impact of Social Media on Schools and Organizations By Dean Shareski on Ideas and Thoughts of an Edtech
- Memory, History, Education By Ira Socol on SpeEdchange