Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Twitter Book Club: Thomss J. Sergiovanni (1992) Moral Leadership: Getting to the Heart of School Improvement - Ch 9

Leadership as Stewardship: "Who's Serving Who?"

------------Thomas J. Sergiovanni---------ch9-------------Leadership A's Stewardship: "Who's Serving Who?"--------------------------less than a minute ago via Twitterrific



@anderscj this tweet is incomprehensible.less than a minute ago via Twitter for iPad



@katieburd I use these as personal markers in my Twitterstream. They mark where I begin quoting from a chapter in a book.less than a minute ago via Twitterrific



@katieburd I later go back and archive those Tweets on my blog. Markers like this allow me to clearly tell where chapters begin & end.less than a minute ago via Twitterrific



@katieburd also, my iPod thinks I mean "A's" when I type the word "as."less than a minute ago via Twitterrific


"leadership takes many forms...today's crisis in leadership stems in part from the view that some of these forms ar... http://tl.gd/82isgkless than a minute ago via Twittelator



"if command and instructional leadership are practiced as dominant strategies, rather than supporting ones, they ca... http://tl.gd/82itvpless than a minute ago via Twittelator



"Servant leadership is the means by which leaders can get the necessary legitimacy to lead." Thomas J. Sergiovanniless than a minute ago via Twittelator



"For trust to be forthcoming, the led must have confidence in the leader's competence and values. Further, people's... http://tl.gd/82j3jkless than a minute ago via Twittelator


This statement cuts me pretty close to the quick. I suppose you could say that I have had so many bad experiences with school administrators in the past that I have developed trust issues. Where as a young teacher I gave my trust blindly and had my trust violated I am now far more guarded.

"When practicing servant leadership, the leader is often tempted by personal enthusiasm and commitment to define th... http://tl.gd/82j6gbless than a minute ago via Twittelator


Let me repeat that in full:
"When practicing servant leadership, the leader is often tempted by personal enthusiasm and commitment to define the needs of those to be served. There is, of course, a place for this...But, over the long haul, as Greenleaf maintains, it is best to let those who will be served define their own needs in their own way." Thomas J. Sergiovanni
There is a passage in the final chapter where Sergiovanni reprints part of an article discussing a flawed style of leadership similar to that of the Lone Ranger where a strong personality rushes into a troubled school, quickly assesses the situation, makes some quick changes to restore order, then rides into the sunset on to their next job. . This sounds a lot like our Superman metaphor today.





"One way in which the servant leader serves others is by becoming an advocate on their behalf." Thomas J. Sergiovanniless than a minute ago via Twittelator



"The more the school cares about students, the more students care about matters of schooling." Thomas J. Sergiovanniless than a minute ago via Twittelator

No comments: