Friday, August 20, 2010

Twitter Book Club: John Dewey (1938) Experience & Education, Ch 4



Fantastic observation about tribal leadership.



I love this quote. I have to admit that this is a statement that I definitely did not believe when I first started teaching but have come to embrace. It is the fatal flaw in all scripted curriculum.



How many "education reformers" understand this fact about teaching and learning? How many excellent teachers do this and don't realize this is what makes their teaching excellent? How many teachers who don't realize this jump to place blame completely on the students?



This is exactly why I love what I see in the school spotlighted in this video:






I absolutely love this characterization of the teacher as leader of activities. It implies an active role in the activity working along side the kids to accomplish something.

No comments: