Photo by TheHomeworkDogI had the pleasure of getting a mini interview with Sir Ken Robinson today after his Q&A session at the TIES Conference. This interview marks the second in a series exploring the question, "What is the Purpose of School." (The first was last month when I sat down with Wes Fryer to discuss this issue). I truly believe that this is the sticky issue for education reform today. It is amazing how varied responses you get from people to this simple question. I have also found that most people are a bit surprised to find how others don't really share the same answer to this fundamental question. How are we to construct the schools of the future if we don't speak the same language of reform?
I plan on collecting many more responses to this question from people tomorrow at the TIES conference and throughout the year. Eventually I will collect all these responses into a website where others can contribute their own responses to this same question. In the meantime, if you would like to contribute to this project, submit your own response to this question by adding a comment to this blog post.
Recommended tools for constructing your response:
- - If you can type, you can make movies. Text-to-Movie
- - make still pictures talk with comical moving mouths.
- Add subtitles to foreign language films (like Chinese Movie Creator).
- - Generates videos of your Google Searches to tell a story.
- - Free online audio recorder and audio publishing
- - convert text to speech (spoken by a cartoon avatar)
- - upload your photo, record your voice, share with friends
- - Innovative online presentation program that nicely integrates multimedia from other sources.
- - Turn your document files into an online books & magazines
- - Collaborative storytelling for families and friends (perfect for creative writing)
- - Make still portraits talk with comical moving mouths.
- - Oddcast makes fun and interesting multimedia generator widgets
- - Video publishing that allows for files up to 500mb. Great video playback quality.
- - Video publishing with great video playback quality.
- - Free video hosting for schools. (like YouTube but specifically for student projects.)
- - User generated video content. Upload and share your videos.